Todd and I enjoyed some quality time together before Samuel joined us. Assuming we wouldn't have as many opportunities to spend time with just the two us after the baby came, we enjoyed some date nights, hikes, and a day at Pine View reservoir. In fact, we hiked up to Lake Solitude on the Sunday that I went into labor. We were timing contractions during the entire hike...unsure whether they were the real deal or not!
A Sunday afternoon hike to Bells Canyon Reservoir
Spent the 4th of July at Pine View Reservoir
Lake Solitude
At 10:30pm on Sunday, July 10th, my water broke just after we had climbed into bed. We packed up our bags and headed to the hospital shortly after.
Just after checking in...still smiling because the contractions weren't so bad yet :)
The contractions became stronger very quickly. I'm so grateful for Todd's support and encouragement through the entire night, I could not have continued with my goal of a natural birth without him! I labored on a birthing ball from about 12pm until 7am when I was ready to start pushing. After an hour of pushing, Samuel Scott was born! I have never experienced something so difficult, but the reward was well worth it!
I thought the pain was over after Samuel had been placed on my chest, but there were complications with the delivery of the placenta. After 30 minutes of trying to manually remove the placenta, my OB-GYN determined that I had placenta accreta (placenta had attached to my uterus) and I was wheeled to the operating room for a minor surgery to remove the placenta. A little more excitement than we had bargained for, but we are so thankful that everything turned out fine!
6 lbs, 14 oz. 19 inches long.
Back from the OR. Happy to have Samuel back in my arms!
We were moved up to our postpartum room in the early afternoon on Monday. Todd and I both took short naps (we hadn't gotten any sleep since Sunday at 8am!). We really enjoyed our 2 days in the hospital. The care was outstanding and we appreciated the help & advice from the nursing staff. We spent lots of time introducing family to Samuel via FaceTime.
Samuel's first bath
Family Photo
Ready to go home!
Our first night at home was really challenging, but since then we've been doing pretty well! Samuel is sleeping much better now and he's eating great too! We enjoyed having Todd's parents visit for the past week. It was great to have some extra hands to help with meals, holding Samuel, and running errands!
Visiting Brian, Jessie, & Lucy Strike (Lucy was born the day before Samuel)
Samuel & Lucy
Samuel's first walk
Grandpa Mitchell
Grandma Mitchell
A sneak preview from the newborn photo shoot
Pool time!
We had Samuel's two week appointment this morning. He now weighs 7 lbs 8.5 oz--must be a good eater! He has changed so much in these two weeks. He is awake more often and enjoys tummy time. He focuses on faces and reacts to noises around him. We are excited for him to meet his other grandparents next week!

I love the picture of Lucy and Samuel together. Can't wait to meet them both. Good job, Anna! Love you all!
ReplyDelete