Sunday, April 26, 2015

Springtime

It's been awhile! Spring has been flying by. There's only 1 more week of classes for the athletes I work with at the University of Utah, and Todd has about 6 more weeks before summer break!

I had a great time at the Advanced Practice Workshop in Point Clear, Alabama at the end of February. It was great to meet other sports dietitians in similar situations to mine around the country, and also to learn from veteran Sports RDs in the NCAA and NFL. I had some time to kill after the workshop ended before my flight so I stopped at Gulf Shores, which is where Calvin Track & Field spends Spring Break each year. I went for a long run on trails I've run on with my team, and took a walk on the beach.

Board of Directors and Attendees at the Advanced Practice Workshop


My parents came to visit in March during the University of Utah's Spring Break. We had a great time together! Todd was able to take one day off during their visit, so we spent a long weekend down in Southern Utah. We explored the Little Wild Horse Canyon, Goblin Valley State Park, and Arches National Park. We had never hiked through Little Wild Horse Canyon, and there was more scrambling than we had anticipated! It was worth it though--it was a very unique hike! While Todd worked, we visited Temple Square and Red Butte Garden.

Hiking through Little Wild Horse Canyon


Goblin Valley State Park

Arches National Park


Todd was chosen as the Outstanding Teacher of the Year out of 90 schools in this region! We attended an awards ceremony where he was honored. He received a folder with letters written by students, parents, his principal, the PTA, and other staff about why he deserved to win this award. We really enjoyed reading these! These letters, along with his resume, were sent to the committee that elects one teacher for the state of Utah.

Todd being recognized as Teacher of the Year


We spent Todd's Spring Break in Southwest Colorado. We visited two National Parks that we hadn't been to previously--Black Canyon of the Gunnison & Mesa Verde. We also spent a day each in Ouray and Telluride.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park


Along the Million Dollar Highway in Ouray, CO


Telluride, CO on Easter Morning

Riding the free gondola to Mountain Village

Cornet Creek Falls

Mesa Verde National Park


As always, we've been quite busy with Olympus High School Track & Field. Our team is getting bigger and better! We've had a number of kids qualify for state already. We have 3 weeks until the State Championships. We'll be happy to have Saturdays back to ourselves after that!

I did two races this spring--a 5K in March and a 1/2 marathon last weekend. Both races went well. I got a post-college PR in the 5K and a 5 1/2 minute PR in the 1/2 marathon! I thought about continuing to train and race again in a few weeks, but I think I'll take a break instead :).

About 5 miles into the race


We're looking forward to visiting Kyle & Kristen Mast (and baby Benjamin) in Cape Coral, FL in a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment