So it's been awhile again. The time between blogs continues to grow. A lot of things have happened, so I'll try to catch you all up to speed on life in Utah.
Shortly after my last blog post, Todd and I drove out to Las Vegas to join his parents for a weekend. Neither of us had been there before. We enjoyed walking the strip, dinner in a couple delicious restaurants, and catching up with Jeff and Bonnie. We also took a side trip on Saturday to the Hoover Dam and Red Rocks National Conservation Area. We took a tour of the Hoover Dam and got to walk around inside the dam. Todd's favorite fact he learned was that there is enough cement in the Hoover Dam to make a sidewalk around the entire equator that is 4 feet wide and 3 inches thick. Wow! We did a short hike in Red Rocks and climbed around a bit. We saw a couple groups of climbers and would have liked to join in, but didn't have gear with us. It was a great weekend!
Last week was Todd's Spring Break. He thoroughly enjoyed sleeping in! He still went to track practice for the athletes who were in town. He even "coached" me during a morning workout for my upcoming half marathon. Todd recently found out that the paper he had published in undergrad after his summer research project has now been cited in other articles. The theorem in their paper has been renamed the Hays-Mitchell Theorem.
Our nutrition class put on a "$1.50 lunch" at school last week. Our task was to plan, prepare, and serve lunch on a budget--$1.50 per person. We decided to imitate taco cart food, except with a healthy twist. All guests paid $1.50 for two tacos, beans, rice, and mango rice pudding, as well as a short speech about food insecurity, eating on a budget, and nutrition. We set a department record for attendance (which got us out of our last test for food management!).
I have been given my assignment for this upcoming summer internship. After much confusion, I have been assigned to VA medical center. I will be there for the first 11 weeks of the summer (for both my clinical and food service rotation) and then will spend the last 4 weeks with the sports dietitian for the University of Utah athletes (my community rotation). Those 15 weeks make up my ENTIRE summer break. I was under the impression that I would get at least 1 week off--but that's not the case. Bummer! I'm not thrilled about being at the VA, especially because I was originally assigned to the University Hospital and the Huntsman Cancer Institute (a BEAUTIFUL new hospital), but due to some miscommunications and problems I got reassigned.
We had a wonderful Easter these weekend with friends. We invited 4 other couples over to our house for a potluck style Easter dinner. What a blessing it is to have met so many wonderful friends!
Hoover Dam & the new bridge across the Colorado River
Red Rocks National Conservation Area
Red Rocks
Eiffel Tower Replica
Fountains at the Bellagio
Jeff & Bonnie
Inside the Hoover Dam
Climbing around at Red Rocks
Todd & I in the Venetian Resort
My nutrition class at the $1.50 lunch
The happy chefs :)
Easter Dinner
No comments:
Post a Comment